In 2014, Halford Busby provided two construction estimates on an athletics facility for University of Houston (UH). The Guy V. Lewis Development Facility is the basketball training facility located on the college campus at the corner of Cullen Boulevard and Holman Street. Specifically, Halford Busby provided DLR Group with the Schematic Design Milestone and 60 percent Construction Documents milestone. The aim of the project was to provide an ideal training facility for UH athletes that will support the university’s recruiting and training capabilities. The challenge was working within a tight site between the 45-year-old Hofheinz Pavilion and adjacent streets.
Key features of the basketball training facility include:
- a three-story atrium at the entrance,
- two practice courts (one for men and one for women athletes),
- sports performance and sports medicine areas to be used by both programs on the first level,
- court storage rooms,
- a weight room,
- an athletic training room with a dedicated X-ray room as well as a hydrotherapy room,
- staff and team locker rooms on the second level
- academic/film rooms also on the second level and
- office space for men’s and women’s basketball coaching and support staff.
The new facility’s gross square footage is 52,923 square feet and the cost of overall construction is $25 million. The exterior of the building takes on a progressive look, constructed of brick, metal wall panel and architectural curtainwall glazing. Construction began in late September 2014 and the grand opening was held in January 2016.
The facility’s design was recognized in the Best Sports/Entertainment Project category by Engineering News Record (ENR) Texas & Louisiana.
Learn more about Halford Busby’s other projects in the higher education sector.
Architect: DLR Group and Page
General Contractor: Austin Commercial
- University of Houston, “Men’s Basketball: Guy V. Lewis Development Facility,” https://uhcougars.com/sports/2018/6/12/sports-m-baskbl-DevelopmentCenter-html.aspx, accessed July 15, 2021.
- DLR Group, “Guy V. Lewis Development Facility,” https://www.dlrgroup.com/work/university-of-houston-basketball-development-center/, accessed July 15, 2021.
- Engineering News Record (ENR) Texas & Louisiana, “Sports/Entertainment Best Project: University of Houston Guy V. Lewis Basketball Development Center,” October 10, 2016, https://www.enr.com/articles/40490-sportsentertainment-best-project-university-of-houston-guy-v-lewis-basketball-development-center, accessed July 15, 2021.