Halford Busby partnered with Corgan Associates on Dallas Independent School District (I.S.D.)’s Sunset High School additions and renovations. The school was originally built in 1925 and is considered a Dallas landmark. Still, many of the changes would enhance the flow between multiple buildings and give the campus a more cohesive design. Another important benefit of the construction project is that it will relocate all student classrooms and facilities to one area of campus, preventing students from having to cross Oak Cliff Boulevard. Across the street, the school’s annex building will be used for administrative purposes and adult education.
This project consisted of:
- the addition of an entry vestibule,
- restoration of the historic building façade,
- roof and window replacement,
- a fine arts addition including choir and black box theater,
- athletics additions that include a new 1,000-seat competition gym and locker rooms,
- renovation to an existing athletics facility,
- expanded and renovated administrative spaces and
- 60,000 square feet of parking and vehicular paving to improve drop-off and pick-up.
Halford Busby provided construction cost estimates from start to finish including the pre-design, schematic design, design development, 50 percent construction documents and 95 percent construction documents. The construction is projected to be completed by August 2023. The renovation project will cost an estimated $46 million. Halford Busby delivers cost estimating for construction projects in the education industry as well as other industries.
- Stone, Rachel. “$46 million makeover for Sunset High School and 1,000-seat competition gym.” Advocate Oak Cliff, March 4, 2020, https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2020/03/46-million-makeover-for-sunset-high-school-and-1000-seat-competition-gym/
- “Bond 2015 Progress: Sunset High School.” https://www.dallasisd.org/Page/62319